In my 40 or so years of teaching at Tampa Prep, I have heard a lot of students say, "Math is so hard." I want to give everyone a reason (or 20) to love math again.
So here we go . . . Math is powerful. You tell me where you are all the time, and I can tell how fast you are going, what direction you are headed, whether you are accelerating and how much! Yep, math is powerful! Here are just a few of the ways off the top of my head:
- It has been said, “if you don’t tell your money where to go, you’ll wonder where it went.” Gotta watch those numbers! Money and math are inseparable.
- Our grades are measured by numbers, and so is our blood pressure and weight.
- Sports use math! When your team has the right number, you get excited.
- You have a social security what? Number!
- You were born on December “purple”? Nope! December 18th, a number. Oh my, there it is again.
- How long should that turkey be in the oven? NO! Not another number!
- The number in the rectangular box on the side of the road is not a math decoration.
- Classes start at sunrise? No, too vague! Let’s say 8:50 AM.
- Your doctor’s appointment should be sometime in January. Too vague? How about Jan 17, in the afternoon? My time is valuable. How about Jan 17 at 2:45 pm?
- We didn’t land on the moon accidentally. Math did it!
- Why don’t all the planes converge on the same airport? Math!
- You know that cute little GPS that got you to your destination? Yep, math!
- Computer models for hurricanes? Math!
- You know the patriot missile that knocks enemy missiles from the sky? Math!
- How about your paycheck for the job you did? Math!
- You know how your favorite cookie was made? Math!
- Our school is 45 this year! 45 is more exciting than 2.
- A $400 fine is more depressing than a $50 fine.